Saturday, April 5, 2008

Lizard Lips

I should be describing the lovely scenes at Texas's South Llano River State Park where the hummingbirds filled the air and wild turkeys scurried across pecan groves along the stream. The walk-in tent site was empty and the weather was beautiful.
However, my overwhelming impression of the last several days is DRY, Baby, DRY! The bridges span empty gravel beds, the lizards are a dusty gray, and the yucca plants are drooping to one side. We have been driving across parched land where dust devils (isn't that what these little tornado-like whirlwinds are called?) sweep across and stop at the rocky horizon.
But that is not all that is missing water. After tenting it for a week, many places without water or, ahem, facilities, I am one dusty cowgirl. I keep a hat on to hide the brillo pad hair; my skin looks like a lizard's. I am steering clear of mirrors and plate glass windows so I don't scare myself. Poor Doug, huh? He has to look at me, but he deserves it since yesterday he drove me up five gruesome, rocky, heart-stopping, switchback, mountain miles to camp at 7000' where bears hang out. Plus I have removed three disgusting ticks from my poor, flaky self.
Wish you were here (instead of me. ha ha. just kidding. sort of....)

No comments: